DURBAN – TWO people were killed and a third miraculously escaped unharmed in two separate drive-by shootings in KwaZulu-Natal on Wednesday.
IPSS spokesperson, Paul Herbst, said emergency teams responded to a report of a shooting on the R614 near Wewe.
“On arrivals of paramedics, it was established that a vehicle with driver and occupant were travelling on the R614 towards Bamshela, when a vehicle overtook them, and opened fire,” Herbst said.
He said the male driver of the vehicle sustained multiple fatal gunshots while the vehicle left the roadway and crashed into a tree. The passenger of the crashed vehicle managed to escape unharmed.
In a separate incident, one person was killed when his vehicle came under fire on the R617 past Mpophomeni.
Midlands EMS reported that the vehicle was riddled with bullet holes.
“Sadly on the assessment of the patient it was established that he had sustained multiple gunshot wounds from rifles and handguns and was sadly declared deceased,” a spokesperson said.
There was no identification on the deceased at all and on observation his pockets had been emptied out, the vehicle keys were also not in the vehicle and all license and number plates had been removed from the vehicle.
In both incidents, SAPS are investigating further.